Amherst County "Jamestown Festival" Historic Home Tour

May 8 & 9, 1957

Homes on the tour:

St. Mark's Church
St. Luke's Church
The Glebe
Red Hill Farm
Mountain View on 29
The Brick House
Mountain View (in town)
Sweet Briar House
Seven Oaks
Edge Hill (in town)
Haywood Plantation House
San Angelo


1957 TEXT: Geddes, now owned by Mrs. Jame Claiborne Calkins, was built in 1748 by the Rev. Robert Rose, patentee in 1744 of 23,700 acres on Piney and Tye Rivers.

Geddes was interited by Hugh Rose. Later four generations of Claibornes lived there following a marriage to a daughter of Charles Rose, brother of Hugh.

Location: Follow Rt. 151 to 3 miles north of Clifford, then turn right on Rt 662.

2008: Today Geddes is owned by the Drs. Harris and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Mark's Church

1957 TEXT: Established by Rev. Robert Rose, first minister of St. Ann's Parish in Old Albemarle County (1748-1751).

First site known as Maple Run 1748, moved to present site 1816. St. Mark's is one of the four churches established during Rev. Rose's four year ministry of St. Ann's Parish.

2008: Today St. Mark's continues to hold weekly services every Sunday.

St. Luke's Church

1957 TEXT: According to the earlist records we can locate, St. Luke's was organized in the early years of Rev. Charles Crawford's ministry, which started in 1789. The Davis and Ellis families took an active part in the early life of St. Luke's. A notation in the Parish register of an early date states "Major Josiah Ellis appointed to receive subscriptions for Pedlar Church.

Location: Pedlar Mills on Highway 130 and 647.

2008: A more recent study of records places the origins of St. Luke's to some time before 1783. It is located on Route 647/Buffalo Springs Turnpike about 1.5 miles north of Highway 130.

The Glebe

1957 TEXT: The Glebe now Minor Hall was the property of the Episcopal Church from 1762 to 1780, consistated of 1,000 acres with dwelling. The rector derived his income from this source. From 1780 to 1881 could find no data.

The property belonged to the Stephen R. Harding family from 1881 to 1936, when purchased by the present owners, Mr. and Mrs. Russell Franks.

Location: at the intersection of Rts. 29 & 151

2008: Today the Glebe is owned by Mr. and Mrs. Ned Kable and has recently been added to the National Register.

Red Hill

1957 TEXT: Charles Ellis (born 1720) Henrico County, married Susanna Harding in 1740 and moved with his family to Amherst County in 1752 and settled the original seat of the Ellis Family--since known as Red Hill on the waters of the Pedlar River.

Red Hill is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas C. Wallace III.

Red Hill is located on Road No. 647, one mile off highway No. 130.

Note: Edgar Allen Poe was often a guest at Red Hill.

2008: Today Red Hill is owned by the estate of Mr. Edward Lewis. It was one of the first sites in Amherst County to be placed on the National Register.


1957 TEXT: Built around 1755 by David Crawford, fourth generation of descent from John Crawford of Hanover County. Birthplace of William Harris Crawford, eminent American statesman, Birthplace and home of William Sydney Crawford, father of Maria Antoinette Crawford Fletcher, whose daughter was Indiana Fletcher Williams.

Now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas S. Williams.

2008: Today Tusculum is owned by Sweet Briar College. It has been dismantled is will be reconstructed at Sweet Briar.


1957 TEXT: Built by Col. Josiah Cabell, who was known to have lived ther in 1769; he sold it to Col. Samuel Meredith in 1770.

Patrick Henry's mother is buried here; she was the mother of Mrs. Meredith and spent her last years at Winton.

Present owners are Mr. and Mrs. V.V. Kelsey.

Location: Rt. 151, Clifford, Va.

2008: Today Winton is owned by the County of Amherst and privately leased and used as a country club. It is on the National Register.

Mountain View on 29

1957 TEXT: Mountain View on 29--Originally called Spencer's Plantation. Built early 1700's on top of Spencer's Mountain. Moved 1777 to present location. For many years the home of Dr. Paul Cabell.

Now owned by Mrs. and Mrs. Richard H. Hanson, located on U.S. Highway 29, 5 miles north of Amherst.

2008: Mountain View/Spencer's Plantation is on the National Register.

The Brick House

1957 TEXT: The Brick House or Garland House built by David Shepard Garland, who married Jane Henry Meredith in 1795. She was the daughter of Col. Samuel Meredith, owner of Winton Plantation since 1796.

Mr. Garland was a United State Congressman from 1819-1836.

In 1811 Elijah Fletcher came to teach in the New Glasgow Academy at Mr. Garland's request.

Location: Rt. 151 Clifford, Va.

2008: Today the Brick House is on the National Register.

Mountain View

1957 TEXT: The first recorded owner of Mountain View was George Coleman who gave to the County, in 1809, the green on which the present Court House is located. His ward, Anna Mahone, married John Whitehead. Both are buried at Mountain View. Their grandson, Thomas Whitehead, purchased the property in 1908 and his widow resides there.

2008: Mountain View was razed and the Food Lion shopping center is located at the site.


1957 TEXT: Kenmore--a colonial brick home was built by Hon. Samuel Meredith Garland.

His granddaughter, Mildred Ellis married Henry Aubrey Strode, who purchased Kenmore for a preparatory school to University of Virginia. Their eldest son, Judge Aubrey Ellis Strode purchased Kenmore from the estate and at present it belongs to his estate.

2008: Kenmore continues to be privately owned.

Sweet Briar House

1957 TEXT: Sweet Briar House, home of the presidents of Sweet Briar College since the college opened in 1906, originated as a six-room brick farm house, purchased around 1830 by Elijah Fletcher. He probably planted most of the gardens, and in 1851 he added the two square three-storied towers and connecting portico. His daughter Indiana Fletcher Williams, at her death in 1900, established the college as a memorial to her only child, Daisy WIlliams. Visiting hours from 2 to 6 p.m.

2008: Sweet Briar House was added to the Virginia Register of Historic Landmarks and also the National Register of Historic Places and later became the cornerstone for the Sweet Briar historic district.

Seven Oaks

1957 TEXT: Seven Oaks, better known locally as the Voorhees Place is now the home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Watts who completely renovated the property in 1954. The exact age of the house is not known, but records have been found which date the original front room back as far as 1791, then owned by John Thompson.

2008: Seven Oaks was torn down in 2004 and the site is now the home of St. Francis' Catholic Church.


1957 TEXT: Boxley--believed to be a part of a Cabell grant of 1744, purchased by George S. Mays in 1837.

The two-story home was built about 1810 and still standing are two of the original outbuildings.

The original boxwood adds charm to the home, now owned by the Alexander Wills Boxleys.

2008: Boxley was destroyed by fire about the year 2000.

Edge Hill

1957 TEXT: Home of Mrs. Thos. Whitehead III, widow. First information on this property is in the will of George Coleman, 1787. Wilkins Watson acquired it in 1831 and built the oldest part of present house. From 1857 to 1869 it was owned by Thomas Whitehead who built the four front rooms. Bought at auction 1925 by Thomas Whitehead III. Location adjacent to Amherst on Rt. 29 and Kenmore road.

2008: Edge Hill continues to be a private residence.

Haywood Plantation House

1957 TEXT: Built on part of 2,000 acre grant from English Crown in 1710 to Isaac Davis, owner of a trading post located where Glasgow now is. His great-grandson, Col. John Dudley Davis built the present house in 1850. This is now the home of his grandson, Mr. George T. Pleasants and is on Rt. 130. Visitors welcome from 2 to 4 o'clock.

2008: Haywood Plantation burned down in the early 1960s and the couple living there died in the fire.

San Angelo

1957 TEXT: San Angelo--owned by Mrs. Alfred C. Barrow, was built by Mr. and Mrs. William Hamilton Mosby, the latter the sister of Indiana Fletcher Williams. After her death the original house, called Mount Saint Angelo, reverted to Sweet Briar, and was later remodeled for the president's home, but sold to Dr. George Edward Walker in 1908, and bought by A. C. Barrow in 1925. Visiting hours from 2 to 5 p.m.

2008: San Angelo was heavily damaged by fire in 1979.

Updated 04/19/2011